Skip to main content

The Bookstore


If you know me, you may already know that I grew up in a book and coffee store in my small hometown in Kentucky. My godmother owned this charming store on main street and I asked her at the age of 14 if I could come work for her. She obviously obliged and from then on it quickly became my place of refuge. It’s where I found myself. While my peers were into sports and parties, I spent my time in the book stacks sipping on my latest creation. Naturally, my love for books and coffee deepened, but it’s also where I found my love for people. 

To me, Karen’s Book Barn wasn’t just a place, it was a feeling. A feeling shaped predominately by its owner, Karen, but also by its workers, and regulars. I met the most fascinating, caring, loving, remarkable people during the ten years I worked there. I can’t even begin to list all of the special people I encountered during my time there, but you all know who you are. These people became my second family. People who supported me no matter what and were always down to lend an open ear and heart. People who loved me simply because I was the girl behind Karen’s counter. But this went both ways. There is just something about selling people books and coffee that allows them to open up to you. Karen and I joked that we were basically nonalcoholic bartenders. I marvel over the amount of people who told me stories of their youth, their family, hardships, celebrations, and so forth. These were connections were real, deep, and remain so precious to me. 

My dream was always to take over the shop one day and carry on the legacy, but life had other plans. I have since moved states and after twenty years, Karen sold Karen’s Book Barn a few years ago. Even though life changed for us in great ways, there’s still something about the fall, the crispness in the air that gets me nostalgic of my beloved spot on Main Street. I get all Kathleen Kelly from You’ve Got Mail (my favorite movie, duh!) and l long to go back to those days where I helped “my people’ find their next favorite book over a mocha latte.  

So why am I posting all of this on my grief blog? I think it’s because I’m grieving the loss of this place too. Before, when life got “tough," I’d make a trip back and spend the day there. I’d catch up with “my family” and find myself again. Yet, in the past year and half, when life really has gotten as hard as it ever has, I don’t have those red doors to open and go hide out for a bit. I understand that these things are apart of life and I know I may sound a little crazy for ranting about all of this and including this into the grief over my loved ones. But sometimes grief makes a little crazy, and that’s okay. Who knows, maybe one day my husband will finally persuade me to open up my own crazy sequel to Karen’s Book Barn. Maybe then I’ll have the opportunity to establish a safe place for some other guy or girl with big dreams mixed with a lot of love for books, coffee, and people. Until then, I’ll sip on my coffee and cherish these memories for a lifetime. 


Me and Karen during Light up La Grange at the bookstore 



Me and Stephanie hanging out in the shop during one of her visits

Comments

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Firsts

This upcoming weekend holds some exciting events. Sunday is my first wedding anniversary and Monday is my birthday! In so many ways I feel like our first year of marriage has flown by, but when I think about all that has happened it is a little more believable.  Sure, I've experienced quite a few firsts without my best friend and even a few without Keith, but I'm sure any griever reading this can relate when I say, it doesn't get easier. From what I've read from other fellow grievers, the seconds are worse because people tend to only think of you and reach out when you're experiencing your firsts. I can also attest to the fact that people are less likely to reach out if you're an extended relation such as a friend or a daughter-in-law. If there is one positive thing I've gained through my grief process is perspective. I know I can and will support my people better during grief than I have before all of this happened.  Yes, grief is different for everyon

A Piece Of My Heart Has Wings

Some days the grief hits me harder than others. This Saturday was one of those days. There is some disbelief that remains that I need to navigate through. It's still so hard to believe that the last nine months happened. I feel like one morning I'll wake up and it really was all a bad nightmare. I look at her picture when I read my bible each night before I go to bed and I think every time that I can't believe that it's real. I have hand written prayers in there from her surgery, and her hard days that I feel like were written yesterday. I've asked God twice on really difficult days to send me a sign or something that would remind me of her or feel her somehow. I wanted to share how he answered my prayer on Saturday. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit us this weekend and we were out doing a little exploring. We were checking out this local handmade boutique when I found it. An ornament (pictured below) that not only has church sheet music on the ang