Skip to main content

"A life with love is a life that has been lived"


It's been a while since I have written because I haven't felt like I have had anything profound to share. It's been a blur of taking each day as they come and surviving the waves as they show up. Mostly the grief and sadness is manageable, but there are days [or weeks], like this past one, where I'm back at square one. Square one for me is the absolute disbelief that this is real life and that they aren't coming back. How is it possible it's been ten months without Stephanie and five without Keith? I was looking at a photo slideshow of Stephanie and it was like I was realizing all over again that there will be no more new memories, I will not see that smile or hear that laugh again this side of heaven. These realizations are suffocating and I can only describe it as utter despair and devastation.

I'm pretty decent at managing the tears and holding them back until I can be alone to let them fall freely and when I don't have to worry about the effect on the other person…but not last week. I could not stop crying and I really just wanted to full-on sob. Music is helpful for me so I was perusing some of my favorite grief playlists and found one I hadn't heard before, "Supermarket Flowers" by Ed Sheeran. I found it odd. I love Ed Sheeran so I was kinda surprised this one was new to me. After listening to it once, and then fifty more times, I knew why it hadn't been until now that I had found it. It found me when I needed it most. There are three big takeaways from that song now that I've listened to it easily over a hundred times.

"Oh I'm in pieces, it's tearing me up, but I know
A heart that's broke is a heart that's been loved
So I'll sing Hallelujah
...
And when God took you back, he said Hallelujah
You're home
....
I hope that I see the world as you did cause I know
A life with love is a life that's been lived"


I'm still in pieces and my heart is still very much broken but I still rejoice because I know I loved them as much as they loved me, and I know God and I both rejoice now that they are both home. The final line has really been my biggest takeaway from my grief journey, but just in more eloquent terms. I pray daily that I'll see the world the way Stephanie did. Even on the brink of death, Stephanie handled life with grace and hope. Stephanie lived and loved so hard. She had more wonderful adventures than someone who got to live 85 years. I owe it her to live like that. I owe it to her love like that. I can hear her saying, "Okay, cry for a little bit more, but then go climb or mountain or something crazy."

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bookstore

If you know me, you may already know that I grew up in a book and coffee store in my small hometown in Kentucky. My godmother owned this charming store on main street and I asked her at the age of 14 if I could come work for her. She obviously obliged and from then on it quickly became my place of refuge. It’s where I found myself. While my peers were into sports and parties, I spent my time in the book stacks sipping on my latest creation. Naturally, my love for books and coffee deepened, but it’s also where I found my love for people.   To me, Karen’s Book Barn wasn’t just a place, it was a feeling. A feeling shaped predominately by its owner, Karen, but also by its workers, and regulars. I met the most fascinating, caring, loving, remarkable people during the ten years I worked there. I can’t even begin to list all of the special people I encountered during my time there, but you all know who you are. These people became my second family. People who supported me no matter w

Firsts

This upcoming weekend holds some exciting events. Sunday is my first wedding anniversary and Monday is my birthday! In so many ways I feel like our first year of marriage has flown by, but when I think about all that has happened it is a little more believable.  Sure, I've experienced quite a few firsts without my best friend and even a few without Keith, but I'm sure any griever reading this can relate when I say, it doesn't get easier. From what I've read from other fellow grievers, the seconds are worse because people tend to only think of you and reach out when you're experiencing your firsts. I can also attest to the fact that people are less likely to reach out if you're an extended relation such as a friend or a daughter-in-law. If there is one positive thing I've gained through my grief process is perspective. I know I can and will support my people better during grief than I have before all of this happened.  Yes, grief is different for everyon

A Piece Of My Heart Has Wings

Some days the grief hits me harder than others. This Saturday was one of those days. There is some disbelief that remains that I need to navigate through. It's still so hard to believe that the last nine months happened. I feel like one morning I'll wake up and it really was all a bad nightmare. I look at her picture when I read my bible each night before I go to bed and I think every time that I can't believe that it's real. I have hand written prayers in there from her surgery, and her hard days that I feel like were written yesterday. I've asked God twice on really difficult days to send me a sign or something that would remind me of her or feel her somehow. I wanted to share how he answered my prayer on Saturday. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit us this weekend and we were out doing a little exploring. We were checking out this local handmade boutique when I found it. An ornament (pictured below) that not only has church sheet music on the ang