Skip to main content

Hello 30

As I officially say “goodbye” to my twenties and hello to my thirties, I can’t help feeling super nostalgic today. As I look back at the end of my twenties, I experienced the best and worst times of my life all in a matter of a few years. I moved several states over which was wayyy harder than I had anticipated. I felt lost and didn’t know how to fit in this world that my husband had already established. I never had a doubt that Columbia was where we needed to be but I struggled finding my way and establishing my own roots. If I’m being honest, it’s only been in the last few months that I have felt like I have turned a corner with this whole, I’m-now-a-Missourian-thing. (But don’t worry, Bluegrass will always run through my veins)

Not long after I made the move, my best friend, Stephanie got cancer, Kyle and I got married, and then a few more months later Stephanie died. So I was a newlywed, in a strange town, without my go-to person on this earth, and quite frankly…I was a mess. (I swear Kyle is a superhero)

And then, Keith, my father-in-law, unexpectedly passed away a few more months after that. Life was hitting Kyle and me HARD. Oh, and the thing about life is that the world doesn’t stop when you’re hurting. You have to manage to adult and grieve at the same time. So I say all of this to share what I’ve learned:

1.       I learned about self-care. IT IS SO REAL and SO IMPORTANT. Yeah, Jessica, Chelsea, Joseph and my other adopted siblings, I KNOW I’m bossy and I’ve appointed myself (haha) as your third parent and I don’t take that title lightly. I enjoy taking care of my people, I thrive on it. But taking care of myself? I didn’t know what that was. It took my Godmother saying, “Are you going on your walks, Amanda?” for me to realize how important “me” time is, and how much my mood is affected when I stop doing it. Thankfully we got Ruby, who is the sweetest dog everrrr and is always down to go on walks with her mom. We started going on 2-3 walks a day and I found myself noticing the worlds beauty again! I also rediscovered my love for reading. Sure, I’ve never stopped reading, but I started making it a priority again and MAN it has helped. Soooo SO WHAT my LOF book club peeps if I’m averaging seven books a month now? I’m living my best life.
2.       Boundaries. It’s okay to set boundaries, it’s okay to say no. If you’re not in a good place you can’t be of any help to those around you. My mom used to put me in “time out” for really a breather after school because I would be so wound up (helllllooooo can you say type A?) I can even see that in my adult life. I need time to decompress, and that’s okay.  
3.       I’m an introverted homebody, and if I don’t want to go to that social gathering, it’s fine. Again, it’s okay to say no.
4.       People just want to be heard. My initial reaction is to help people. I want to help you with your problem. But sometimes people just want to be heard, they don’t want to be fixed. I’m still working on this (I know my sisters are like heck yes, you are) but a goal for my thirties is to listen more and talk less. Hold me accountable, Sista Sista OGs.
5.       Go to the doctor, and no, Urgent Care doesn’t count as your primary care physician. I don’t know what my generation has against having an established doctor but it’s important.
6.       Financial stability is so much more lit than those new pairs of TOMS. Have an emergency fund, save for retirement, pay off your debt. Budget!!! People laugh at Kyle and me because we have a budget line for Fitz, Ruby and Gus, but it works and necessary for us. 
7.       Lastly, I’ll leave you with words from my best friend forever. “Life is too short. Go on your dream vacation NOW and eat ice cream for dinner.” I will spend the rest of my life with this phrase in mind. My best friend lived her short life with such tenacity and made little moments still MOMENTS. I aim to do that, and I’m doing that for you, Steph.

Birthdays, mine and Stephanie’s, will probably always be hard because her and I love them so much. I miss her so much. So thank you to everyone who has made today special. Thank you to my husband for taking me to Disneyland and who is leaving work early so we can meet my favorite podcaster. Thank you to my sisters, adopted brother Cody, and my mom for making the long drive out here to really spend a day making me feel special. I know Stephanie would’ve loved to rock one of those shirts you guys made. 

Thank you to my parents for bringing me into this world and putting up with my sass. Thank you for husband for choosing me everyday and for putting up with my sass. Thank you to my siblings who see all of my ugliness and love me anyways. Thank you to the friends who didn’t give up on me when I hit rock bottom and when I was someone that wasn’t easy to be friends with. Most importantly, thank you to my Savior for never giving up on me, and for enduring all my anger and silence. Thank you for your patience and for this gift of life. 


Here’s to my 30s and to all of my people who make my life beautiful. I love you all.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bookstore

If you know me, you may already know that I grew up in a book and coffee store in my small hometown in Kentucky. My godmother owned this charming store on main street and I asked her at the age of 14 if I could come work for her. She obviously obliged and from then on it quickly became my place of refuge. It’s where I found myself. While my peers were into sports and parties, I spent my time in the book stacks sipping on my latest creation. Naturally, my love for books and coffee deepened, but it’s also where I found my love for people.   To me, Karen’s Book Barn wasn’t just a place, it was a feeling. A feeling shaped predominately by its owner, Karen, but also by its workers, and regulars. I met the most fascinating, caring, loving, remarkable people during the ten years I worked there. I can’t even begin to list all of the special people I encountered during my time there, but you all know who you are. These people became my second family. People who supported me no matter w

Firsts

This upcoming weekend holds some exciting events. Sunday is my first wedding anniversary and Monday is my birthday! In so many ways I feel like our first year of marriage has flown by, but when I think about all that has happened it is a little more believable.  Sure, I've experienced quite a few firsts without my best friend and even a few without Keith, but I'm sure any griever reading this can relate when I say, it doesn't get easier. From what I've read from other fellow grievers, the seconds are worse because people tend to only think of you and reach out when you're experiencing your firsts. I can also attest to the fact that people are less likely to reach out if you're an extended relation such as a friend or a daughter-in-law. If there is one positive thing I've gained through my grief process is perspective. I know I can and will support my people better during grief than I have before all of this happened.  Yes, grief is different for everyon

A Piece Of My Heart Has Wings

Some days the grief hits me harder than others. This Saturday was one of those days. There is some disbelief that remains that I need to navigate through. It's still so hard to believe that the last nine months happened. I feel like one morning I'll wake up and it really was all a bad nightmare. I look at her picture when I read my bible each night before I go to bed and I think every time that I can't believe that it's real. I have hand written prayers in there from her surgery, and her hard days that I feel like were written yesterday. I've asked God twice on really difficult days to send me a sign or something that would remind me of her or feel her somehow. I wanted to share how he answered my prayer on Saturday. My sister and brother-in-law came to visit us this weekend and we were out doing a little exploring. We were checking out this local handmade boutique when I found it. An ornament (pictured below) that not only has church sheet music on the ang