Skip to main content

Grief.

Grief. I thought I knew what that word meant, but I didn't. Not until my best friend was diagnosed with brain cancer and died eight months later. Stephanie has been my best friend my entire life. My mom started babysitting her when she was six weeks old and me six months! Side note: Stephanie's mom found my mom in a newspaper listing. That’s how our friendship started, a newspaper listing. 😊 At the age of ten, Stephanie's dad got a job in Georgia and I'll never forget hugging my friend goodbye in the movie theater parking lot days before she moved. But, we remained friends. I remember writing her letters on my colorful fish stationary and getting so excited when I would receive a letter or a card back. Our friendship would survive nearly a dozen more moves and even more life changes. We were friends during her slight punk-rock phase and she was there to listen to every awkward dating experience I had. (P.S. I'm a pretty awkward person. Stephanie said she loved how awkward I am and she hoped the man I would marry would love my awkwardness {she meant that as a compliment…she swore 😉} I think that's why we shared a special bond. We've been alongside each other, even at a distance, forever.

I think that is why the grief is so deep.

Grief started when our world completely changed in February 2017. Stephanie got the diagnosis; brain cancer, and not just any kind, the most aggressive. So, the Grief continued when our friend-dynamic changed because Stephanie was putting up the strongest fight. Grief continued as we watched her never give up hope. It continued when we got the news it had spread to her spine and on September 24, 2017 at roughly 3:30 p.m. I watched my best friend leave this world, her husband, daughter, family, and me behind. At that moment, grief changed into something I had never experienced. It's deep, it's raw, it's dark, and it's painful. It's not just an emotional experience, it makes your insides hurt. The pain is real and it feels like no matter how much I cry its replaced twice-fold. 28 years as Stephanie's best friend wasn't enough. Memories wash over me like a warm blanket with needles constantly. Memories I know she won't be a part of tug at my heart. Her teary voice sharing that she can't imagine leaving Michael and Sarah alone is something I cannot stop replaying.

Somehow, I'm supposed to go on. Somehow, I am supposed to go about my day even though inside, I'm screaming. This doesn't feel right and I don't feel okay. I don't know a world without her and I'm devastated that I have to figure out how. I know that she's free from pain now. I know she's with our Savior and I know I'm supposed to take comfort in that. People say it "gets better", but I don't know if I want it to "get better". Maybe "get better" means that I can hear her name, see a photo, or think of a memory and it won't feel like I'm being stabbed. Maybe it means that one day, I won't randomly fall apart periodically throughout the day. I don't know.


I'm actually a pretty terrible writer, but I feel compelled to share my journey…so bear with me. I think some people are so scared to talk about grief that I want to help break that. I also think I bring a different perspective. Many times when sharing my grief people have stated, "yeah, but can you imagine how her husband (mother, father, etc.) feels?" No, I can't, and that's part of my grief too. Her family is my family and I'm grieving with and for them. Just because you're someone's friend, doesn't mean your grief is outranked. It's different, yes, but it's 100% valid. I wish I could share feelings of hope. But right now, I don't feel hope. However, I do believe in Jesus, and I do believe that he's sitting in the rain with me. And if you're sitting in the rain, I want to sit with you too.







Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The Bookstore

If you know me, you may already know that I grew up in a book and coffee store in my small hometown in Kentucky. My godmother owned this charming store on main street and I asked her at the age of 14 if I could come work for her. She obviously obliged and from then on it quickly became my place of refuge. It’s where I found myself. While my peers were into sports and parties, I spent my time in the book stacks sipping on my latest creation. Naturally, my love for books and coffee deepened, but it’s also where I found my love for people.   To me, Karen’s Book Barn wasn’t just a place, it was a feeling. A feeling shaped predominately by its owner, Karen, but also by its workers, and regulars. I met the most fascinating, caring, loving, remarkable people during the ten years I worked there. I can’t even begin to list all of the special people I encountered during my time there, but you all know who you are. These people became my second family. People who supported me no matter w

Firsts

This upcoming weekend holds some exciting events. Sunday is my first wedding anniversary and Monday is my birthday! In so many ways I feel like our first year of marriage has flown by, but when I think about all that has happened it is a little more believable.  Sure, I've experienced quite a few firsts without my best friend and even a few without Keith, but I'm sure any griever reading this can relate when I say, it doesn't get easier. From what I've read from other fellow grievers, the seconds are worse because people tend to only think of you and reach out when you're experiencing your firsts. I can also attest to the fact that people are less likely to reach out if you're an extended relation such as a friend or a daughter-in-law. If there is one positive thing I've gained through my grief process is perspective. I know I can and will support my people better during grief than I have before all of this happened.  Yes, grief is different for everyon

My Second Angel

It's been two weeks to the day, and I'm still in so much disbelief. On February 1st at 11:43 a.m. my father-in-law suddenly passed away. Keith was a healthy, young 58, he counted his calories, walked three times a day, and never smoked. He had been fighting what we thought was just a bad cold. Having been to the doctor already, he went on Monday, January 29th, thinking it was pneumonia.  Tuesday  we found out it was a tumor.  Wednesday  we found out it was stage 4 lung cancer and nothing could be done.  By  Thursday  he was gone. Ironically, we found out it was cancer the same day we found out about Stephanie’s tumor the year prior. Quite frankly, that part still feels like a sick joke.  How does this happen and how do you wrap your mind around losing two precious people  within four months  of each other? How do you go on a double-date with your in-laws on a  Friday  night, and then lose one of them less than a week later? I'm still in so much shock but I wanted