Skip to main content

Tell Her Story

I miss her. I miss her every day. We didn't see each other every day, we only saw each other a few precious times a year, but we talked every day. So many trivial things I would share with her. I don't know how many times a day I still think, "I need to tell or ask Stephanie about that," and reach for my phone. For those first few seconds I have to relive her passing again. After the gut-punch, I've been finding myself whispering, "I just miss you so much, girl."  The void I feel is so deep and dark that it doesn't seem like this could be reality. I sometimes feel stuck by wanting a reprieve from these feelings, but then scared that if I take a break that it means I loved her less or something. Silly, I know. Another silly thing is the guilt I feel at times. I find myself genuinely happy, okay, or laughing and then the grief knocks and gnaws at me. "Is it okay to feel happy this soon?" I ask myself. I know this is ridiculous; Stephanie would want me to make the best of this. Sharing this part with you is pretty vulnerable for me. I want to be full disclosure because I think that this is the point of what I'm doing, but it’s scary nonetheless.

So why am I doing this? Honestly, I don't know. I've been super private about all of this, so why I am doing a blog? A few days after I got back from the funeral I was feeling grief in a way I had never experienced (see first entry). Because I had never felt this way before I wanted to talk about what I was feeling, but I didn't know how. So I just started typing and letting those emotions seep out. It didn't stop there. I then felt pushed to share it with people. Many people have told me how much they can relate to what I've written and for some reason that brings me comfort. What we are experiencing really sucks and it feels better to know I'm not the only one sitting in the rain.

When Stephanie was passing, I reached out for her dad and held onto him. He told me to never stop telling her story. Those are words I think about every day. This is something I will strive to honor for the rest of my life. If you knew Stephanie, even if just through her blog, you knew how remarkable she was. I'm honored to have been a part of her life here and I will do whatever I can to see that her story continues, even if it's through a blog. 


Comments

  1. Keep on blogging on sweet friend. We're still at the beginning of the journey and I'm looking forward to seeing how God leads you down this road. I'm looking forward to reading and hearing about the things God speaks to you and I know that it will be nothing but an encouragement to us all. Keep telling her story all the days of your life and know that I'll always be down to hear them all!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

The Bookstore

If you know me, you may already know that I grew up in a book and coffee store in my small hometown in Kentucky. My godmother owned this charming store on main street and I asked her at the age of 14 if I could come work for her. She obviously obliged and from then on it quickly became my place of refuge. It’s where I found myself. While my peers were into sports and parties, I spent my time in the book stacks sipping on my latest creation. Naturally, my love for books and coffee deepened, but it’s also where I found my love for people.   To me, Karen’s Book Barn wasn’t just a place, it was a feeling. A feeling shaped predominately by its owner, Karen, but also by its workers, and regulars. I met the most fascinating, caring, loving, remarkable people during the ten years I worked there. I can’t even begin to list all of the special people I encountered during my time there, but you all know who you are. These people became my second family. People who supported me no matter w

Firsts

This upcoming weekend holds some exciting events. Sunday is my first wedding anniversary and Monday is my birthday! In so many ways I feel like our first year of marriage has flown by, but when I think about all that has happened it is a little more believable.  Sure, I've experienced quite a few firsts without my best friend and even a few without Keith, but I'm sure any griever reading this can relate when I say, it doesn't get easier. From what I've read from other fellow grievers, the seconds are worse because people tend to only think of you and reach out when you're experiencing your firsts. I can also attest to the fact that people are less likely to reach out if you're an extended relation such as a friend or a daughter-in-law. If there is one positive thing I've gained through my grief process is perspective. I know I can and will support my people better during grief than I have before all of this happened.  Yes, grief is different for everyon

My Second Angel

It's been two weeks to the day, and I'm still in so much disbelief. On February 1st at 11:43 a.m. my father-in-law suddenly passed away. Keith was a healthy, young 58, he counted his calories, walked three times a day, and never smoked. He had been fighting what we thought was just a bad cold. Having been to the doctor already, he went on Monday, January 29th, thinking it was pneumonia.  Tuesday  we found out it was a tumor.  Wednesday  we found out it was stage 4 lung cancer and nothing could be done.  By  Thursday  he was gone. Ironically, we found out it was cancer the same day we found out about Stephanie’s tumor the year prior. Quite frankly, that part still feels like a sick joke.  How does this happen and how do you wrap your mind around losing two precious people  within four months  of each other? How do you go on a double-date with your in-laws on a  Friday  night, and then lose one of them less than a week later? I'm still in so much shock but I wanted